Upcoming Chicago-area Events:
- August 15 at 7 pm: Northbrook Library. Talk on Five Ways to Preserve the Harvest. I will be selling and signing books.
- August 19 at 10 am: Culinary Historians of Chicago. Talk and Tasting followed by a book signing. Free for CHC members; $5 for the public. To reserve, please e-mail your reservation: Culinary.Historians@gmail.com.
- August 26 at 10 am: Morton Arboretum. Preserving the Harvest canning demonstration class. Non-members $34; Members $25. Register now.
- September 2 at 8:30 am: Park Ridge Farmers Market. Canning demonstration and book signing.
- September 17 at 2:30 pm: Preserving class at Read It & Eat. Learn to make Apple, Honey and Rose Water Jam and Golden Pumpkin Butter. Includes a jar of preserves. Class only — $50. Class + book — $72.04
- September 17 at 5:30 pm. Book Launch Party at Read It & Eat. Pickles and preserves tasting — includes wine!Tasting only — $10. Tasting + book — $32.04. Attend BOTH EVENTS and SAVE $5.
- September 24 at 4 pm. Chicago Food Swap.
- October 21 at 10 am: Chicago Botanic Garden. Demonstration class: Homemade Cranberry Sauce. $68 nonmembers; $54.50 members.
- October 21 at 1 pm: Chicago Botanic Garden. Demonstration class: Introduction to Pickling. $68 nonmembers; $54.50 members.
Events for The Joys of Jewish Preserving:
- June 20 at 7 pm: 92nd St. Y in New York City. In conversation with Leah Koenig. Tickets from $29.
- June 21 at 6:30 pm: Brooklyn Brainery, Brooklyn, NY. Talk and canning demonstration. Tickets $12. Samples included!
- June 25 at 11:30 am: ALA Annual Conference What’s Cooking Stage. Cooking demo and book signing.
- July 10 at 6:30 pm: Book Larder, Seattle, WA. Talk, tasting. and book signing. Free!
- July 11 at 7 pm: Urban Adamah in Berkeley, CA. Canning class. $5 in advance; $10 at the door. Sign up here.
- July 12 at 6:30 pm: Omnivore Books, San Francisco, CA. Book signing. Free!
- July 13 at 6:30 pm: Saul’s Deli, Berkeley, CA. Jewish Preserving Dinner. Three-course dinner with drinks inspired by the book! Tickets are $48, tax and gratuity included.
- July 15 at 10:30 am: Market to Table Demo and Book Signing, Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, San Francisco, CA. Free!
- August 28 at 7 pm: Politics & Prose, Washington DC. Free! Author talk and book signing.
- November 5 at 2 pm: San Diego Center for Jewish Culture, San Diego. Food book festival with food, talk and tastes.
- February 4, 2018 at 12 pm: Tucson Jewish Community Center, Tucson, AZ. Demonstration and book signing.
- April 26, 2018 at 7 pm: Barshop JCC, San Antonio, TX. Demonstration and book signing.
I am available for private and semi-private canning lessons in the comfort of your own kitchen. I will bring my equipment with me, so that you do not need to invest in any expensive gadgets. Lessons typically take two hours and at the end you will have a detailed recipe and several delicious jars to eat or share. I am happy to do family lessons as well.
My rates begin at $250 for a private lesson for up to four people total, plus the cost of supplies. (You can provide your own supplies, which include jars, and ingredients, or I can purchase them for you.) I will charge a slightly higher rate if you are far from the Oak Park-River Forest area and I have to drive more than 30 minutes to reach you.
I am also available for canning demonstrations, which are less hands-on than a lesson but still informative, for larger groups. I have done canning demonstrations at Whole Foods, area farmers’ markets and local libraries.
If you are interested in scheduling a lesson or have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to hearing from you!